Submissions close on 7 October 2016
The Terms of Reference are:
Inquiry into suicide by veterans and ex-service personnel with particular reference to:
- the reasons why Australian veterans are committing suicide at such high rates,
- previous reviews of military compensation arrangements and their failings,
- the Repatriation Medical Authority’s Statements of Principles, claims administration time limits, claims for detriment caused by defective administration, authorised medical treatment, level of compensation payments, including defence abuse, as contained in all military compensation arrangements,
- to investigate the progress of reforms within DVA,
- the administration of claims by DVA and the legislative or other constraints on effective rehabilitation and compensation for veterans, and
- any other related matters.
The RSL has been advised by the Senate Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Reference Committee that, in this inquiry, it is not in a position to address individual claims of rehabilitation or compensation for veterans and ex-service personnel. The Committee’s focus is on the broad issues raised in the terms of reference of the inquiry as listed above.
The RSL welcomes the inquiry and will be both providing a submission and making witnesses available as required by the Committee. We are currently seeking advice in the preparation of the submission, which will be posted on our website when finalised.